Saturday, March 20, 2010

Journal of an Ex-Smoker

Friday, February 12th

Tomorrow I re-start my life. Tomorrow I die inside. I say good bye to an old friend who was killing me, who defined my life in every respect. I wish so much this was unnecessary, that I could continue to enjoy the smooth cooling, relaxing inhale of smoke, that I could somehow jump this moment and emerge unscathed on the other side.

“You’re going to die” is how my doctor put it.

“If I’m scaring you, I’m glad. I’m scared for you, and I don’t want you dying on my watch.”

It didn’t take long, not much thinking, to recognize the words I’d always thought applied to everyone else, but which were now my sentence. My turn to make tough decisions, right away. No time to consider all the reasons I’d always given myself about how I’d do it one of these days… I knew it had to happen, but only somewhere in the future where - god knows how – it wouldn’t fall to me to make this decision about my own life, my own health.

I have two children, and a grandchild coming in the summer. And next to no life insurance, nothing to leave them at all if I were to die at my own hand, which is what this amounts to.

So it’s now. And NOW. No putting it off anymore. Time for me to step up, to admit I’ve been fooling myself all along. To stop using the excuse of all those friends I know in their seventies who’re happily smoking and tell me how they’ll die when it’s their time, and how their grandfathers died “of smoking-related illness” in their nineties, so how bad can it be anyway?

I believed them for a short while, because I wanted to, and I imagined myself living well into my eighties as a smoker. Sure, maybe a cough, but nothing worse than that. Until I didn’t believe them anymore. And then it was time. Who knows what caused the penny to drop – I have no idea. All I know is that suddenly, somehow, I knew I wasn’t going to be one of them, I wasn’t going to live forever and die happily even though I smoke. I was going to die. A heart attack if I’m lucky, emphysema if I’m not. Whatever method death takes, it wasn’t going to be pretty, or honorable.

Now I face the inevitable. Twenty-four hours from now I’ll be a non-smoker. I’m determined to do it. I have the patch, I’ve pressed my stubborn button, I’m exalted and thrilled to start my new life.

And I’m terrified. My neck and shoulders are tight to the point of agony. What if I fail? I made a point of telling everyone I know – even on Facebook – that I’m doing this. I want the pressure of my friends reminding me that I committed to this. I want no escape for me. I want to be held accountable.

But I’m frightened, and worried that I can’t live up to the standards I set myself. I’m nowhere near as strong as I pretend to be, and even though I’m certain this is what I want and need to do, I’m scared that I’ll fail and that all the people I’ve told will scorn me and laugh and tell me they KNEW I couldn’t do it.

Which makes me more determined to prove them wrong and more anxious because maybe they’re right…..

One more day. One more evening at the bar. Where I can walk outside and have a smoke with impunity. I can even joke about it – “I’m smoking while I can…” and I see the skepticism in their eyes. “You’ll be back, smoking like the rest of us…..”

How do I convince them now? Do I need to? If I drag myself above my own self-doubt, all I have to do is prove them wrong, and then probably they’ll owe me a beer!

For now, I try to keep my equanimity, an even keel. Meditate, breathe, remind myself that all I have to do is get through the next few minutes and the need will dissipate.

And keep in mind that this will pass, that this will give me more time in my day, fewer hangovers, a longer life – actually, screw that, just a better life – which could end in a fiery minute if a bus hits me.

9 comments:

  1. Colin,

    You're stronger than you give yourself credit for and I'm so very proud of you. You can bet your bottom dollar that I WILL be the first in line to hold you accountable if you pick up another cancer stick.

    You've come this far, keep going...remember the reasons "why" you are doing this. Because you love life and want to live to see your children and grandchildren all grown up and succeeding in life. Because you have a lot of friends and family that would be devastated if you left them in this world without you. Yah, whomever is "up there" may need some good ones...but I for one can't lost another one. So stay here, on this earth, in good health...and feeling much better because of it!

    Great writing! See...you also proved that you COULD write without a cig in your hand.

    Cheers to you, you deserve it!!!

    Love ya!
    -Lis xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin

    The most worthwhile things in life are often the hardest to achieve.

    Don't allow yourself to question yourself. Like everything else that we take on, if we allow fear and anxiety to permeate our decisions, then we fail.

    You WILL be a non-smoker. Failing is not an option.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to share this with a friend/co-worker. She quit around the same time you did. Kudo's to both of you and anyone else that has quit. Looking forward to your next post, Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go, go, go...and if you break...no biggie- really. Just go, go, go again! Just keep telling yourself that "this just doesn't fit me anymore"...say to yourself, "I'm not the person I was when I started smoking...not even close. It's not a break so much as it is just an evolutionary, grown-up, movin' on, kind of thing!" All green lights, best wishes, and love!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Colin, I'm enjoying your musings this morning. Three very different posts. Quite nice reading, thanks!

    (good luck with the smokes)

    -J Hays

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can succeed. One trick is to vary your routines so that you do not spend as much time in places that "triggered" the smoking (a bar, for instance). Be outside more, doing physical things that require fitness, like long walks.And keep having lung xrays taken to track any "spots" that might appear later on (decades later). You can beat it. I am doing the same thing with my low fat diet. Day to day, day to day. When I go to bed, I say: you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A struggle many of us have undertaken. I won't comment on the subject, except to say good luck. What I will comment on is the writing, as you have asked me. You have opened the door to allow a peek inside the beautiful mind of Colin McGee. Very interesting! (I'm not being sarcastic either, believe it or not!) I enjoy your style, find it flowing and easy to read. And I also enjoy how well you put into words the many emotions I myself have felt. As I read, I find there's a running commentary in my head, my own responses to your thoughts, as if we were in conversation.
    It takes balls to bare your soul for all to see. Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep it up as you can do it. My husband quit before we got married but 65 yrs.old was not early enough for him. He died two yrs. ago with lung cancer or from the treatments and he wanted to live so badly and be with me. He use to talk to individuals when he walked at the mall in order to get his lung capacity back and tell them how he wanted to live and be with his wife but because he didn't heed the doctors about giving cig. up soon enough, he would be unable to be there for the person he loved the most. He, too, enjoyed it and it was hard to give up but once he set his mind to it, it wasn't difficult. He had several people approach him later thanking him for talking to them about quitting and that they had quit because he had courage to talk to them and cared. Hang in there as your family and friends love you and want you around. This is meant to be an encouragement but a little different take on it as I'm the widow who misses my husband so much as we had a special love for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can do this then at least it's one thing you have managed to follow through from start to finish in your life...

    ReplyDelete